Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Morning


In the space of thirty minutes and the length of the drive through West Campus this morning I snapped a few photos to share. Above is the clearing with the brambles - always a lot of bird activity here. I watched a brilliant Yellow Warbler and heard a vireo of some kind - not seen and I don't know the songs well enough to identify by ear. Then a deer which had been browsing (in the foreground of the photo) startled and bounded away.


This buck White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus) remained watchful while the first deer departed the scene. He stayed long enough for me to run back to my car for the camera!



Driving through the parking lot with the car window rolled down I heard a Chipping Sparrow and an unfamiliar warbler song. Eventually the bird popped out into view - a Common Yellowthroat - I'm actually watching it in the photo above.



This little guy, an Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapillus), had probably collided with a window at one of the entry gates. Tony spied it just sitting on the pavement as he drove in and alerted Lynn and me to come and have a look. Lynn came prepared with a small box to retrieve it if necessary, but it managed to run to cover on its own.

All of this before a day's work - doesn't get much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment