Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Time for some color!


American Goldfinch, Carduelis tristis; photo: Lynn Jones


Yesterday when Lynn and I headed out for a lunchtime walk, she brought along her camera, intending to add some color to my blog. Admittedly it has been quite without photos lately, as I've been sensitized to the fact that photographers don't want random people using their photos without permission. So, as you've noticed I've been just directing you to their sites.
Whatever. I understand.


Yellow Warbler, Dendroica petechia, photo: Lynn Jones


Spring is in the air -- love is in the air -- these Yellow Warblers were perhaps "just practicing"? To us it looks like two males. Anybody have some insight here?


Baltimore Oriole, Icterus galbula, photo: Lynn Jones


Lynn calls this a "crappy photo". Well, anyone who has tried to photograph birds knows how much time you have to spend in the field, and how many photos you have to take to get one really good one. So, I appreciate this photo anyway, Lynn - crappy or not!

The orioles have been around for more than a week already, but this one was the first we actually laid eyes on. It's a young male who hasn't finished his molt - and quite frankly his song was a little sketchy too.

This week we have added another new bird species, but I'll save it for the big summary list on Friday...
ciao
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment